Building Team Notes April 6, 2017

Irene Stewart, Peter Young, Suzette Reiss, Mark Sisson, Sherry Smith, Peter Marren. Excused: Beth Peterson

Meeting called to order at 7:10

Minutes accepted as amended (Suzette Reiss’ name was left off.)

Peter Marren related his impressions of churches he visited while in Denmark. He also stated he was working on more detailed plans for our project prior to meeting with various Town offices to start the permitting process.

Irene related to the Building Team her meeting with Bill Moore, the church’s attorney. (Mark and Susi Young were also in attendance, Mark as Recording Secretary for the BT and Susi as Board President.) Irene wanted to know the status of the contract between the church and Bill Gorman. Mr. Moore remarked that, among other things, there were stumbling blocks in the contract re: “progress payments” i.e., payments to subcontractors dependent on completion of work, “retainage”- holding back a percentage of the monies until satisfactory completion of work, etc. Mr. Moore noted he is more comfortable speaking only to the president of the Board and/or the chair of the Building Team when dealing with our building project.

With this information, there followed a long and thorough discussion among the Building Team about our potential contract with NEBFH. There are several pros and cons. Each member of the Team, including Mr. Marren, was able to voice their opinion. At the end, it was decided we weren’t comfortable moving forward with NEBFH. Irene will inform the Board and Mr. Gorman.

At this juncture, Mr. Marren stated that what will be needed is the plan noted above be offered to an “estimator,” i.e., a professional who examines plans and is able to produce a “ball park” estimate of the costs. These can then be shown to builders during the interview process to ascertain if they can complete our project at that price point, and to see if these very preliminary plans will lead to a building within our budget. An estimator will cost approximately $1500. Several builders were noted, but we will not be asking for bids until these preliminary plans are complete and the estimator has returned his work.

Irene cautioned the Team that discussions held at BT meetings are to be held in strictest confidence.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:25. Our next meeting is scheduled for April 14 at 7:00.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.